Saturday, October 5, 2013

Blueberries are not just for muffins!

There is a family owned Vineyard in Albemarle NC called the Dennis Vineyard. They have a wide variety of wines but today I want to talk about their Blueberry. This wine is made from the best available blueberries. They do not blend their blueberries with any grapes so the wine is very true to the flavor of the fruit.

I use this wine when making my Blueberry Wine Jelly. I have been told it is better than Smuckers! So I know what your thinking - what do I do with Blueberry Wine Jelly. Well besides the obvious of putting it on toast, crackers or a sandwich, check out the recipe below courtesy of the Cookbook "Eat, Drink and have Jelly".

CORN AND BLUEBERRY SALAD

6 ears of corn; husks removed and cleaned
1 cup fresh blueberries
4oz Aunt Bunny's Blueberry Wine Jelly, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 cup red onion; diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro; chopped
1 jalapeño; seeded and minced
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat grill to medium high heat. Grill corn until lightly charred on all sides. Allow to cool slightly then remove corn from cob.

In a bowl, combine corn, blueberries, jelly, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice and olive oil. Stir well to combine.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

Makes 4-6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment